Prep Time: 30 min
Oven Temp: 350°F
Everyone loves Lasagna. Sometimes though, we are all itching for a change and want to minimize our carb intake as well as experience an interesting Mexican flavor. We tried this recipe last night and it was a huge success! In my experience best recipe I’ve made so far this year.
• 4-5 boneless chicken breasts, diced (or ground turkey)
• 1 large green bell pepper
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 package taco seasoning
• 8-10 whole wheat tortillas
• 2-3 cups plain yogurt
• Salt & pepper to taste
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 5 cups of store-bought enchilada sauce
• 16 ounces skim ricotta or cottage cheese
• 1/4 cups chopped fresh parsley leaves
• 8 ounces shredded cheese (cheddar or mozzarella)
Step 1: Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet and cook chicken breasts with onion and green pepper. Add taco seasoning and combine well.
Step2: Add ¼ cup of water to chicken mixture in pan. Once chicken is cooked, turn off heat and add yogurt. Slowly fold in yogurt and combine. Set aside.
Step 3: Preheat oven to 350°F and spread bottom of 13x9x3-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with ¼ of enchilada sauce
Step 4: Fill the middle of each tortilla with chicken mixture. Add shredded cheese and green peppers to each and roll, careful not to overstuff.
Step 5: Place each rolled tortilla seam down into baking dish. Spread ricotta/cottage cheese evenly over top. Pour the rest of enchilada sauce evenly over ricotta cheese and sprinkle with remaining cheddar or mozzarella cheese
Step 6: Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until cheese begins to bubble.
Step 7: Garnish with parsley leaves before serving
Other options to add to your Mexican Tortilla Lasagna:
Feel free to add whichever vegetable and/or cheese you like. There really are no rules here. Whatever you have on hand will also work great. Here are some ideas:
• red pepper, tomatoes, zucchini
• layer your Mexican tortilla lasagna with refried beans, guacamole, black beans and any other spices you wish to add for more kick and a more authentic Mexican flavor.